Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Thing 10 - Snapchat

Of the two choices for this Thing, I have used Instagram, but not Snapchat.  I decided it was time I see what all the hype is about in the Snapchat world.  Not sure how much I love Snapchat after trying it out, but I will explore this more as the summer continues.  I need to discover what "friends" are using Snapchat so that I can have more opportunities to send photos.  This app was very easy to use and I can see the draw this app has for both adults and teens.

The article Snapchat For Your Library provided me with some ideas of how I might use this in the library.  During the summer in the media center, I have a contest where students send in their weirdest reading destination to me.  Last year, I received many fun photos of staff and students reading in unique places.  This might be a fun twist to add Snapchat as a choice of how to send the photo to me.  It is always important to meet students where they are and Snapchat is a social media choice for many of our students.

I also like the idea of students taking a picture with a certain book to see where it travels throughout the school year.  Not sure which book I will pick at this point, but I like to have a variety of contests throughout the school year and I can see students participating!

Incorporating this into my book clubs as well might be fun.  As we are trying to decide our next read, we could take pictures of the books we think deserve to me in the running for our reading lists.  It might be a good way to introduce others to a variety of books as well.

Using the Snapchat Stories might be another great way to market the media center.  I could promote various contests, new books that are coming out, book club events etc....

After trying Snapchat out, I can see some value in using this in my media center!

No comments:

Post a Comment